Embark on a breathtaking journey along the Amalfi Coast, where stunning vistas meet delectable cuisine. Explore the top 5 attractions and indulge in the region's mouthwatering specialties, immersing yourself in a true Italian coastal experience.
Located in the south of Italy, this area has one of the most scenic coastlines in the world. Here are our tips on what to see, do, and eat when on Amalfi Coast.
Amalfi Coast: One of the most charming coastlines in the world
"The name of Italy has magic in its very syllables" said Mary Shelley, the English novelist who wrote the Gothic novel, Frankenstein. Well, think about how intense the magic of the enchanting Amalfi Coast is! Located in the south of Italy – in the Campania region - this area has one of the most scenic coastlines in the world. Amalfi Coast area includes every town between Positano and Vietri sul Mare.
What to see and do when on the Amalfi Coast
The most popular cities are Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. Not far away, however, you can find the famous Sorrento peninsula and Capri island. La Costiera Amalfitana has long charmed writers, actors, artists, and philosophers. The list is endless: from Gore Vidal to D.H. Lawrence, from celebrity star Greta Garbo to actor Humphrey Bogart. Here are our tips on what to see, do, and eat when on Amalfi Coast.
- Amalfi: Explore the "capital" of the Amalfi Coast. This city was one of the Ancient Maritime Republics. One of the most interesting historical places is the Cathedral. When you are in town, we recommend buying the famous Amalfi paper, an outstanding paper made in the "cartiere," the artisanal paper mills.
- Vietri sul Mare: Visit the town of Vietri sul Mare, famous for the art of its charming ancient ceramics, a beautiful harmony of colors.
- Ravello: Ravello is famous for its beautiful art and is called the City of Music. Attend a concert at enchanting Villa Rufolo or at the scenic Oscar Niemeyer Auditorium. Essential stops are the Gardens of Villa Cimbrone and the natural balcony, the Terrace of Infinity.
- Positano: Positano is called "the pearl" of the Amalfi Coast; it is also famous as the city of fashion and shopping.
- Boat tour: You cannot stay in this magical land without exploring its unique seas. That is why we recommend an incredible boat tour on the Amalfi Coast.
The Amalfi Coast not only enchants with its breathtaking landscapes but also offers a culinary experience that is not to be missed.
What to eat when on the Amalfi Coast
- Limoncello: You can't leave the Amalfi Coast without tasting the very famous Limoncello, made with the Amalfi Coast IGP lemons.
- Ricotta e pere: Go as far as Minori, another of the beautiful towns on the Amalfi Coast. Here you will find the famous pastry shop of one of Italy's most celebrated pastry chefs. Try pastry chef Sal de Riso's famous desserts like Delizia al Limone and Ricotta e Pere.
- Mozzarella di Bufala: Delight in the creamy and luscious Mozzarella di Bufala Campana DOP, a fresh buffalo mozzarella made locally. Savor it in a Caprese salad, paired with ripe tomatoes, fresh basil, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Frittura di Paranza: Indulge in the Frittura di Paranza, a delectable mix of lightly battered and fried seafood, including small fish, shrimp, and calamari. This mouthwatering dish showcases the flavors of the sea in a crispy and flavorful way.
Scialatielli ai Frutti di Mare: Dive into a plate of Scialatielli ai Frutti di Mare, a tantalizing seafood pasta dish featuring fresh local catches like clams, mussels, shrimp, and calamari. The perfectly cooked pasta absorbs the flavors of the sea, creating a harmonious combination that will leave you craving more.
The Amalfi Coast is not only a feast for the eyes but also a culinary paradise for food enthusiasts. From the creamy Mozzarella di Bufala to the zesty Limoncello and the flavorful seafood creations, these 5 must-try delicacies will transport your taste buds to the vibrant and diverse flavors of the Amalfi Coast. So, prepare your appetite for a journey of unforgettable flavors and immerse yourself in the gastronomic wonders that await you along this picturesque coastline.